Thursday, December 13, 2007

Finals are graded

Let the flood of emails begin :-)

[really, it is ok to email me or drop by and inquire about the final.]

It wasn't that bad in the end, and I scaled generously. The multiple choice average was 74.5%, and the problems average was 60%. I scaled each part (MC and problems) separately to come out to an 80% average with 12.5% standard deviation.

In rough terms, that means if you got a 50% overall, you still passed. Yes, it was that hard ... I consider a raw score of 50% a suitable passing grade, and a raw score of more than 80% worth an A on the final.

There will be lots of detail on this tomorrow, and I should have final grades posted by tomorrow night. The early numbers tell me that on average 40% of you actually improved your overall grade after the final exam.

So rest easy! No one dropped by even a full letter grade after taking the final.

No comments: