Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Welcome to PH102 / Summer 2010

Welcome to PH102! At the bottom of this page, or here, you will find our course calendar, which you should review carefully. A small spreadsheet with the schedule and each day's reading can be found here. We will stick to our schedule rigidly, as our time is quite short over the summer semester.

You may also want to look over the course syllabus and other information, which you can find here. The slides I'll present in lecture will also show up online shortly, I will post separately here to let you know.

Finally, I have written some fairly lengthy notes for this course, and my lectures will follow these notes for the most part.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any suggested study tips for this class? PH 101 kicked my butt and I dont want this to do the same.

pleclair said...

I guess the obvious things are to really keep up with the reading -- actually read the book or notes for each section -- and make sure you're keeping at the homework.

Beyond that, the most important thing I think is solving some practice problems. Even if you read the chapter and think you're getting it, qualitatively at least, you're really not until you sit down with some example problems and try to solve them. The quick quizzes and examples in the text are good, and the notes have (solved) end-of-chapter problems.

I would say, read each section, then try to do a few related problems. If you're not able to get some of the problems (and some are hard), try re-reading the relevant section again. If you read the notes, you might try the treatment in the textbook (or vice versa) since they are a little different.

Later today, I'll post a problem solving template that might help you to get started on problems, students have found it a big help in the past.

The last thing I would suggest is not waiting until it is too late if you are having trouble - keep asking questions if you're not sure, and discuss with your classmates.