Thursday, August 4, 2011

Last exam

I will scale it if necessary.

I am a bit perturbed by how difficult the exam seemed to be, since over half the questions were either from previous exams or covered in class. I think some of you know now that 'open book' does not mean 'won't study, I can just look stuff up.'


Q1 - similar problems on many previous exams, spent a lot of time in lecture on this.
Q2 - you a lab on this, examples in book
Q3 - almost identical to previous exams you had access to
Q4 - you need to multiply by volume=Ad and use E=V/d, no tricks
Q5 - directly from previous exam
Q6 - on previous exams, done in class, basically an example from the book ...
Q7 - I did this in class, exactly the same problem.
Q8 - just need mirror definitions, no tricks
Q9 - directly from previous exams
Q10 - need only the photoelectric equation for both pairs of data

Anyway, the thing is done now. I'll have it graded over the weekend at some point, and will put the grades on MasteringPhysics. I will scale it if need be, we'll just have to see how it goes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember in class you said that the questions would not be like the old test problems because they would take more time to do. Having that in mind I focused more on the in-book problems which were not that helpful. Even so, I should have prepared for the exam like the first two anyway.

Anonymous said...

i agree with the first comment. i focused mainly on the book examples for the highlighted chapters and it only seemed to help me on 2 or 3 questions out of 10. i should have not changed my study preparation

Anonymous said...

same here. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but it was a tough test and I studied just as much as the others.
Overall, after having you for both 101 and 102, I really enjoyed your courses. I felt like you were always very reasonable and willing to help. It's a tough course though and requires a good amount of effort.

pleclair said...

Don't panic too much, I will make sure the average comes out well one way or another.

Anonymous said...

Is Dip going to "take care of our grades" as well? Has he said anything worth noting? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Dip never worked any problems in any way similar to the ones on the test.

Anonymous said...

Dip said the problems would be like the examples in the book. not very hard

pleclair said...

When I talked to Dip, I got the impression that he would scale it if need be. I'm fairly certain he won't throw you under the bus.