Friday, November 2, 2007

Practice problems

I have just put up a set of practice problems on WebAssign ... it will not be graded, and is optional (in fact, the solutions/answers are immediately available). It is just meant as a study aid.

If you can figure out how to solve most of those problems (say, 75% of them), you will rock the exam.

There will be 10 homework bonus points to the first person to tell me in a comment to this post what is the maximum wavelength of light required to most efficiently break up a diatomic oxygen molecule. If you are the first one within 10% of the optimal wavelength for breaking up an O2 molecule, you win.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ultraviolet rays with a wavelength maximum of 240nm is needed to break O2.

-Lane Elmore

pleclair said...

Close enough, extra credit for you.

Anonymous said...

Dr. LeClair,

For some of the problems on webassign it is showing me a solution but for many of them i cannot find them. Are they someplace else?

-Matt Collins

pleclair said...

Matt,

Not all of the problems have full solutions in webassign - this is a new feature, and they only have solutions available for a small fraction of the problems.

So, yes, it is correct ... al of them should have the *answers* available, but solutions only exist for a few of them.

If you're having trouble with any in particular, send me a quick email, and I'll try to give you a solution.

Anonymous said...

Ok i have sent an email describing my problem...so far.

Matt

Anonymous said...

Dr LeClair
I feel reasonably sure that I'm not the only one panicking after the last exam. I also had an organic chemistry exam that day, so I nearly cracked while taking your exam. Might you be kind enough to offer any more questions like this in the future? I keep checking your webpage for new posts. Any bones thrown would be appreciated. I have cut my hours at work for the sole purpose of attempting to salvage my grade in this class.
Thanks
Mike Mailhos