Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Exam 1 is soon

Exam 1 is coming up on Thursday. It is rather soon, but there are reasons for this ... The exam will be held during your lab period, in the lab room. Even if you have my lecture and the 5pm lab, you still take the exam during your normal lab period. It will take you 60-90 minutes. Don't be late. Here's what it will cover, just two chapters:

  • Electric Forces & Fields (Ch. 17 in the text, all sections)
  • Electrical Energy & Capacitance (Ch. 18 in the text, all sections)
Note that relativity is absent.

The format of the exam will be 6 problems (i.e., solving stuff, no multiple choice), you pick any 5 to solve. Put another way, I'll give you 6 problems, you can skip any one of them you like, they are all worth the same amount. To head off an obvious question: if you do all six, I may grade all six and take the best 5 as your grade. Or, I might just grade the first 5. Who knows. Your best bet if you do all six is to tell me which 5 you want me to grade.

I will provide a formula sheet (example) with all relevant constants and basic formulas, a list which should be sufficient to solve all problems. Additionally, you are allowed to bring in a single 8.5x11 inch sheet of paper with your own notes, formulas, etc. -- anything you want, really. Front and back sides are allowed, I will allow two sheets with only a single side if you prefer that. You are additionally allowed writing implements and a calculator (i.e., not a cell phone or any network-enabled device). You can feel free to program your calculator in arbitrary ways, however, just no internet or peer-to-peer communication of any kind.

I don't know if I can stress enough that you should not forget your calculator.

No comments: